Monday, July 1, 2013

Holy crap, I'm a full-time graduate student!

So, you know when you start something new - a job, class, training program...etc and it's the first day and there's tons of people around you who totally seem like they've known each other for years?  Yeah, that was my first day.  "Please arrive early for an 8:30am start" said the message on the Facebook message board (The FB message board is a WHOLE other topic!)  So of course, I got there a few minutes before 8.  Looked in the room, only a couple people so used the bathroom, got some water and headed in.  By 8:20 there were a reasonable amount of people in the room, probably around 80.  I swear, everyone seemed to know each other!  By 8:30 I was antsy so I introduced myself to the girl sitting to my left, "Hi, I'm Carrie, I'm in the MAT - ELE (Masters of Arts and Teaching Elementary) program."  Her response, "Hi I'm Moira".  End conversation.  Ok.  Then Big Tall White dude sits down to my right, again, "Hi I'm Carrie"  ( I decide not to over share this time)  His response, "Hi, I'm John".  End conversation.  Whatever.  Nothing was going to ruin this day for me.  As I had texted a friend earlier in the morning on the way there on the train, I felt like a kid at the first day of kindergarten.  I was so excited!

So now it's 9am and people are still walking in.  I'm pretty amazed as an 8:30 am start to me, means an 8:30am start.  These are going to be teachers people!!!  School starts at 8am.  You get there early...before the students.  Oh, and you dress appropriately.  So finally, sometime after 9am, we started.  Scott, the program director whom we had met at a previous orientation was the speaker.  He's a riot!  He started with a laundry list of things that need to be completed - get your TB test done, get finger printed...blah blah blah.  Again, stuff that should have been done by today, but whatever, that's just me.   Then he started to discuss school expectations.  Our program is a Cohort model.  This means I will be in classes and program meetings with the same group of 50+ people for an entire year.  Cool with me.  At least we all have the same expectations.  And here they were: (slightly paraphrased, but not much)


  • be on time, always.
  • don't miss classes.  ever.
  • If you get below a B, you should consider dropping out before we decide for you.
  • Dress professionally, always.
  • Be an over communicator (you know I love that one)
  • Don't be an Asshole.  
Ok, maybe he didn't say asshole, but man, that's what I heard!  He shared how there have been "cohort interventions" in the past.  People started rumors, or arguments that have lead to cohort drama.  Basically they talk out of their ass.  LOL, I could already tell you from listening to the conversations around me, and reading the FB group who those people were going to be.  Don't get me wrong, I am extremely aware I can be a pushy bitch, but I get shit done and keep my mouth shut when I don't know squat.   

The Facebook group- this was created so the administrators of AUSL could communicate with us quickly and easily, and push out information any time.  At least that's what I thought.  When I see there is a post there I assume it's something I will need to know - like last night's post telling us what room we were meeting in...helpful.  Even the gal who posted, "where's the cheapest parking?"  I could get on board with.  (I actually told her the Best Parking app.  It's delightful)  But the ranting and complaining about how we have to "dress professionally" and "who wants to be my tennis partner"  I could do without.  I get 20+ posts a day about random crap that does not pertain to me!  Haven't decided howI'm going to deal with that one yet....

Anyway,  we went to a cohort meeting and went over program info, classes, and of course, HOMEWORK!  Sweet mother of God, I am going to have reading to do!!!  13 textbooks to buy, and that doesn't include the information they push to us through our Chromebook. Marni Levinson, I am going roll right through that pack of highlighters you got me in this summer session!  15 semester credit hours in 6 weeks.  Ready...GO!

Then, of course, there was the continuation of "useless questions that just pertain to ME!".  I'm not the oldest person in the program, and clearly not the youngest.  But don't 20-somethings learn in undergrad how to hold questions that only pertain to them!  You know, like, "I just left California and had my teaching certificate with a middle school endorsement there, but then while I was in the traveling circus an elephant ate my cert...."  Probably only happen to you sweetheart.  No one else cares and you're wasting our time!!!  I got reading to do damn it!!! 13 books to be exact! Come on!  There's one guy that  asks a question with every new point made.  I'm pretty sure it's a nervous tick.  As luck would have it, he sat next to me at lunch.  Oh, and this was the best part.... we were sharing what we did prior to beginning the program.  One woman, Anita, very nice actually, shared she had worked in banking for 10 year, and then I shared I had as well for quite some time.  Well, then, gotta-share-for-every-new-point-made-guy said, "yeah, I worked the last 2 years as a teacher's aide. (was in college prior to that) the pay cut is going to be really rough for me but I am making some sacrifices to get through it".  Anita and I looked at each other.  Seriously?  I excused myself to go talk to my adviser.

All in all, I met some really great people on the first day, but not enough time to get to really know anyone yet.  After the initial large group meeting, people were friendly, nervous, and excited, just like me.  Hearing what others have done before making such a big career move was interesting and fun to discover.  I was actually surprised I was happy to see Golden Retriever Boy in my cohort. (Met him at orientation, he was so excited he almost peed himself)   

I realized as I sat on the train on the way in this morning and was almost brought to tears with excitement that I too, was as excited as a dog...but maybe a Labradoodle or a wee bit more chill breed.








No comments:

Post a Comment