Monday, March 24, 2014

Project Bookshelf

Project Bookshelf


The saying, “it take a village” is never more true than when talking about education.  When I began my journey into education, I recognized from the start, I will always need more than I have to give...financially.  Anyone who knows me, knows I never have an issue asking for donations when it comes to my kids.  


One of my best friends, Marni and I used to talk about how we would collaborate with our classrooms or schools when I became a teacher.  Marni is a spanish teacher at Lake Forest High School in Lake Forest, IL.  It seemed like forever ago that we fantasized about how we could bring two different worlds together, in the name of education and kids.  Also, it would be remiss of me to not add, Marni has been my biggest advocate on this journey from day 1!  From the career change, to the move from administration to the classroom, she had been behind me 100%.  


So at the beginning of the year when we discussed a possible idea of a book drive with some students I was excited!  I figured I would be that much further ahead for my classroom and students next year, when I get my own classroom.  A couple hundred books would make a world of difference for my classroom library as a literacy teacher!  

What happen was unexpected and humbling to say the least.


Marni told me that the Freshman student council was excited and had taken it upon themselves to have a freshman class project which would be entitled, “Project Bookshelf”.  Students were going to bring in books over the course of the next couple months under the guidance of their staff advisor, Ms. Rogna.  A couple weeks in, Marni told me they were expecting close to 300 books!  I was so excited!  In addition, the kids were making a bookshelf that they all were going to sign.  We made arrangements for me to come out and meet the kids and thank them during their student council meeting in the morning before school.


As the book drive came close to and end, on the last day, Marni began updating me, “there are 500 books so far...and it’s only 3rd period”. I was overwhelmed.  That’s a classroom right there! What happen then was beyond anything I could have expected.  The freshman student body at Lake Forest high school had collected 1500 BOOKS!   I was humbled and moved beyond belief.  


1500 books.  As I drove out to Lake Forest on a Thursday morning, I tried to think how I could express to these kids what this will mean to MY kids.  I brought donuts as a small gesture of thanks (because kids are kids!)  but when I got up to thank them verbally, it just flowed. I told them while we may take for granted the ease of access of a good book, it is not so easy for all kids.  I referenced a student in my classroom this year who literally loses herself in books and I am convinced on some level, keeps her grounded and focused.  No student should ever feel access to good literature is a gift.  All children, from Lake Forest, to North Lawndale, to Lincoln Park to Roseland deserve the same access and availability of books.  I pulled several books already for that student I referenced.  I can't wait to give them to her.  

Thank you Marni Levinson, Cindy Rogna and Lake Forest Freshman Class for helping bridge the gap one book at a time!





No comments:

Post a Comment