Sunday, October 27, 2013

I got this....

So, the past couple weeks have been interesting.  Very up and down.  Just when I think I got the hang of it, something slips.  It reminds me of when I was learning to shift gears on my bike for triathlon training.  I worked hard at it during indoor cycling season and then once I got outside I had a couple great days and thought," I got this", only to hit a hill in Galena and drop my chain 3 times.  I have definitely "dropped my chain" a couple times in the last few weeks.  It's frustrating, I get angry at myself, try to figure out where I was unprepared or why I couldn't have predicted a lesson to go so poorly....and then there's the tears.  Man, there's been no shortage of them.

But with dropping the chain and falling off my bike came some amazing lessons and discoveries.  I learned how to fix my chain in 5 seconds flat and hop back on my bike.  This would come in handy during more than one race...when it really matters!  I learned that falling isn't that bad.  Once I got over the sheer embarrassment going down a hill with my chain off and then, all spazzy-like, stopping and forgetting  to clip out, causing me to fall over- I am ok, and I laugh.  I get up, fix the chain, get back on and pass that girl again on her mountain bike.  (tri humor)

This is no different than my experiences in the classroom now.  The beautiful yet humbling part about this program, is that at no point is there a lack of feedback or information to reflect on.  So when I do forget to scaffold a lesson because I made an assumption the kids had prior knowledge, and, my Principal happens to be in my classroom and shuts down my lesson, I have the awesome opportunity to learn an amazing, unforgettable lesson that will serve me well throughout my teaching career.   Because when I have my own classroom, and there's noone there to point out the errors in my ways, I will have these lessons to reflect back on and make a positive impact on those beautiful little minds!

Every day is a new day.  I am excited every morning to walk in the gym and see my 28  "think they're grown but they're really just babies" 8th graders.   They are the best part of everyday.  As one of the directors at AUSL, Michael Whitmore constantly reminds us, "It's not about us, it's about them."  He couldn't be more right.  But that's not a feeling or lesson you can learn....it really has to be what you are about, in your heart and soul.

So with that, I'm off to start another week but know, no matter what, I never forget it's about them, and for that I believe, I got this.

No comments:

Post a Comment