Sunday, September 1, 2013

First week of School!

Week one is in the books!  It was one of the most amazing, scary, fun, awful, hysterical, crazy, confusing, perfect weeks of my life.  Let me explain...

So I am an 8th grade resident teacher.  From day 1, my Mentor, Mrs. Ray, has treated me as just another teacher in the room, her equal.  It helps me a lot so that when I begin to teach the class on my own, which is sooner rather than later, the tone is set.   So when young Monifah shared she didn't want me to answer her question, she wanted the REAL teacher to answer her question, I SWEAR Ms. Ray came flying out of the ceiling and said, "Oh she's a real teacher, and you're going to ask her your question."  This was day 1.

Let's back track to discuss the expectations for week one at Johnson School of Excellence.  Like most schools and teachers, the first week is spent getting to build rapport with your students and lay down the rules and expectations for the year.  It is fair to say, if you do not share them, they really cannot be accountable to them.  So we discuss the "Wildcat Ways" which include being SAFE, READY, RESPONSIBLE,  and RESPECTFUL.  If you can manage to maintain these "ways" as a student, you really should be able to have a productive year.  Seems logical and fair doesn't it?

My mentor teacher is a veteran so we were able to move along quickly and actually, she had some of the students the year before, so there was rapport built already.  I was able to do so as well but know it will take me a couple weeks to gain any trust and I can appreciate that.  She will stop a class dead in it's tracks if she doesn't have 100% attention and refocus.  She's like a machine.  It's awesome.  I love that she reminds the class several times a day that, "we're here on business" but also that she cares about and loves them.  It seems so effortless watching her do it.

The times I had full control of the class they didn't completely lose it.  I did need to refocus a couple times (meaning bring them back to "scholar position" which is books closed, hands folded, and eyes tracking the speaker.)  Each time I did, I was able to get 100% and continue with the lesson or transition.  I know the kids are still testing me, and it's so hard to not be able to smile much and have to stare them down, but I sneak a smile here and there and I haven't hesitated to pull a student aside and explain that I here to help them realize their goals and dreams...get to the best high school they can get to and be college-ready.   I got a couple hugs to balance the couple glares so all in all I felt it was a good week.

Last but not least, parents, if you ever want to get your child's teacher, or a teacher in your family an AWESOME gift, get them a gift certificate to a shoe store!  Trust.  It will be appreciated.

(Here is the link to my presentation from my Social Justice class on the comparative discussion of suburban vs urban teachers: 
 http://prezi.com/rf7_bdw8zlk1/?utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=copy)

No comments:

Post a Comment