Sunday, September 15, 2013

It's on.....

So, we are in the thick of it now.  In the classroom full-time, teaching, observing, lesson planning and full time grad school.  It's on.

Lesson plans are due to my mentor teacher by Saturday at 11am.  Then, her feedback is due back to me by 2pm on Sunday so I can submit them by 8pm on Sunday night.  Class meets on Friday and homework from those classes is usually due the following Friday.  I am at work generally from 7am - 6pm (usually later) so by the time I get home, time for homework is minimal.  So getting it done on the weekends is a good plan...for me.

I also have decided to set some fitness goals again since without them, I don't allow myself the time I desperately need to workout.  Goals are TBD, I am sure I will let you know.

My mentor teacher is really a great teacher and extremely patient.  With the students and with me.  We have different styles - I am a perfectionist with OCD tendencies, and she is a go with the flow, don't stress the small stuff type.  I know I can learn a lot from her, as teaching is fluid and NEVER goes as planned.  I am hoping she receives some value from working with me as well.  She has shared she wants to move into administration and my anal tendencies can help her in that arena!

I taught my first lessons this week.  As a reminder, AUSL subscribes to  Lemov, "Teach Like a Champion" so before I begin, I command 100%, and Check for Understanding constantly.  I also do a lot of narration while the students are working independently.  Let me say again, I do A LOT OF NARRATION...(LOL anyone in the residency can feel my pain).  All kidding aside, it's awesome practice.  I also get real time coached by my Mentor teacher Ms. Ray.  We discussed what I would prefer - real time, notes, discussion after.  I told her if I am doing something that can be corrected immediately, let me know.  The kids are used to the coaching so it's not shocking to them when she says something.  There's constantly people in and out of  the room, as well as video taping.

We are using a literacy concept called Close Reading,  as well.  It helps the students relate and understand what they are reading instead of just surface reading, which, we are all guilty of doing I am sure.  Finding Aha moments, contradictions and tough questions allows the students to dig into the story.  It's so awesome seeing a kid light up when they get it!

I had to also make my first round of parent calls this week.  All of my calls were surprisingly met with extremely concerned and supportive parents, grandparents and aunts.  One father called me the next day to ask how his daughter's behavior had been.  I know one call can't change all behaviors, but I am excited to be able to make some positive calls this week coming up!

Saturday I went to my student's football game.  AUSL schools play tackle football so the games are awesome.  I think some of the boys were surprised to see me there.  I got lots of sweaty little football player hugs, which is such a beautiful contradiction.  They slaughtered Casals 27-0.  I was so proud of them.  While we were there, we spied a woman walking the track with a Johnson track warm up on.  The number on her hoodie was 30 and on the sweatpants was 16.  It was then shared with us that the track warmups had been stolen out of the storage along with some other stuff.  It was kind of a riot watching her walk around, in a stolen warm up uniform, no clue probably that Johnson was playing on the field next to her and we all worked for Johnson.  Or she could care less!

Friday we started classes again and it was like a family reunion!  It was so awesome to see my cohort!  #43 woohoo!  Hearing everyone's stories, how they are doing, sharing lesson ideas...it was such a great day!

So my big goal this week is patience.  Patience with the process, patience with my students, patience with myself.  I am anxious by nature so this will be a challenge, but no different than all the other challenges put before me!

No comments:

Post a Comment